Visa Gift Card is a prepaid Visa card that can be used for purchases at merchants worldwide that accept Visa Debit Cards. The value of the card is loaded at the time of purchase and your spending is limited to the amount of money placed on the card by the purchaser.
The Visa Gift Card is an ideal choice for birthdays, holidays, and weddings, and suits all your gift-giving needs. It’s also perfect for people of all ages. You decide how much money to give; they decide where to spend it.
The Visa Gift card is a prepaid card welcomed everywhere Visa cards are accepted. Visa Gift cards are loaded with a set amount of funds and can be used for multiple purchases for as long as value remains on the card. See How to Turn Visa Gift Card into Cash.
Giving a Visa Gift card puts the power of choice in the hands of your friends and family. Before using the card, record your card number and keep it in a safe place in the event your card would become lost or stolen. Sign the card on the back signature panel.
It is also a good idea to register the card, especially for online or mail order purchases, at. www.ConsumerCardAccess.com/cugift2.
In this article, I am going to be giving general information about Visa Gift Card and its usefulness. Make sure you read to the end to know more.
Features of Visa Gift Card
The following are the feature that makes Visa Gift Card useful:
- It is Secure – The Visa Gift card can be replaced if lost or stolen.
Covers all Canadian-issued prepaid cards
Depending on where you buy the Visa gift card, it may be eligible for the same protections that come with debit and credit cards. Before you buy, ask the retailer about replacement fees and fraud protection.
- Easy to use – When making a purchase, simply present the card to the merchant and sign the purchase receipt. Visa gift cards are as simple and easy to use as a regular Visa debit card or credit card. Just choose your card at the store, load it with the desired amount of money, then shop, shop, shop! No paperwork, no fees and no waiting in line at the bank
- Convenient – Visa Gift cards are welcome at any of the millions of locations where Visa is accepted, even online.
- It makes an excellent gift – Unlike traditional gift cards to individual stores or restaurants, a Visa gift card may be used anywhere Visa cards are accepted. This gives the user freedom to spend the gifted funds any way they please. Recipients can use the Visa Gift card to buy what they want, when they want.
- It’s an alternative if you don’t have a bank account—Whether you’re new to banking or in between financial institutions, Visa gift cards give you freedom and time to shop around. No longer do you have to deal strictly in cash if you don’t have a bank account. Visa gift cards may be used anywhere a Visa debit card is accepted. Sometimes referred to as “non-reloadable prepaid cards,” these cards were originally created to be used by those locked out of financial institutions for lack of credit, bad credit or other eligibility restrictions.
- It’s a safe option if you’re just learning to manage finances—Trying to teach your kids about financial health? Visa gift cards are great for teenagers and even pre-teens. They get access to a limited amount of cash, helping them learn to practice fiscal responsibility. You can set them up with a budget, teach them to track their spending and discuss the ins and outs of savings. Best of all, when the money is gone, it’s gone. Your teen can only spend up to the amount on the card.
How to use a Visa gift card online
Before you start making use of a Visa Gift Card, it is important that you learn how it is being used. In fact, there are only two steps:
- Activate: If you purchase your Visa gift card from a retail outlet, the card should be activated and ready for immediate use after purchase. However, if you purchased it online, you’ll need to activate it once you receive it. This is typically done online or by calling the toll-free number listed on the card.
- Register: You will also need to register your card if you want to use it online so that retailers can link the card to a billing address. Instructions on how to do this will be provided with the card. The process usually requires entering the card information online or by phone as well as your name, billing address and phone number. This will allow you to use a billing address when checking out during an online transaction, giving the vendor an opportunity to verify.
Ultimately, a Visa gift card could help you give the perfect gift, teach your kids about money management or help you with your own spending. They are simple to buy, easy to use and don’t come with hidden fees or credit checks.
How To Use a Visa Gift Card In-Store
Using your Visa Gift Card in a store is quite simple. After selecting the items you want from the store, take your shopping cart to the cashier at the counter and pay with your Visa gift Card.
The machine will scan the card and confirm your payment. If the value of your transaction exceeds the credit on your Visa Gift Card, you’ll have to complete the payment through other means, like using prepaid cards.
How to Redeem a Visa Gift Card
Visa gift cards come in many shapes and sizes and serve as credit cards with a limited quantity of funds within them. This credit card is usable anywhere Visa is accepted the same way a credit or debit card issued from Visa is used.
For a successful Visa gift card exchange, you must redeem the Visa gift card in-store or online. This section will cover all you need to know about Visa gift card redemption. See How to Check Visa Gift Card Balance.
A quick note: Visa gift cards differ from prepaid Visa Debit/Credit cards. Visa gift cards are universal gift cards that are often non-reloadable. Prepaid Visa Debit/Credit cards are issued through banks and are loaded when you make deposits at your bank.
These functions similarly to a debit card and you can withdraw money from ATMs with it as well. We do not recommend gifting Prepaid Visa Debit/Credit cards! Visa gift card use is much simpler and a better gift.
How To Check Visa Gift Card Balance
It is vital that you check your Visa Gift Card Balance before making any purchase to avoid getting stranded in a store due to insufficient credit on the gift card.
Check your Visa Gift Card by taking the following steps;
- Visit the Visa Gift Card checking page
- Enter your 16-digit gift card number in the provided box.
- Enter your 3-digit security code (CVV) in the next box
- Click on the “Check your gift card balance” button.
Visa Gift Card Balance Transfer
If you would rather consolidate your funds, completing a Visa gift card balance transfer is a bit complicated, but you can transfer the gift card value into your account through services that purchase unused gift cards, or link your Visa gift card to your PayPal and use it as your primary method of payment on the next purchase.
Completing a Visa gift card exchange is a great basis for any gift, but it does lack some personalization. We recommend adding a card with directions on where to spend it or adding some cute packaging around it.
Where to Spend a Visa Gift Card
When you have a Visa gift card to redeem, it is up to you to spend it on something fun! You can, of course, spend it wherever. At the end of the day, it saves you money and lightens up the budget for a month, but you can also use it to treat yourself to something nice.
We want to highlight some special occasions where a Visa gift card rewards redemption will sweeten the deal.
Food and Restaurants
Starting off this list is a classic. Food! Putting your Visa gift card towards food is great for spending it on something special.
What makes it special is spending it on food you don’t have every day. Putting it towards your grocery bill falls more into the category of mundane spending, but putting it towards that same grocery bill after getting yourself a little treat is often enough to make the Visa gift card redemption a memorable expenditure.
It doesn’t have to be anything expensive or particularly complex, just a little treat to enjoy that week. It could come as a snack or dessert you like or some ingredients for a fun new meal.
Next to this are, of course, restaurants! Going out to eat is a common and fun pastime, and you can save your Visa gift card transaction for the next time you grab a bite. Saving up your Visa gift cards for a night out whisks away the extra expense of going out to eat.
Clothes are quite expensive. Clothes shopping can quickly become a chore whenever you need something new, made doubly worse if an old staple gets ruined or gets a bit too well-worn to justify wearing it again.
A gift card to Old Navy, Banana Republic, or a similar store is nice, but a Visa gift card works at every single one of those stores. Sometimes you must shop a few places before finding the right item.
The flexibility of a prepaid Visa gift card is second to none. You can rest easy knowing you can shop to your heart’s content anywhere and pick some nice items there. See Vanilla Gift Cards
This is a rather broad category. Entertainment can really be anything you want! There are a lot of novelty excursions like axe throwing, go-kart racing, amusement parks, and more that are, in essence, a one-day trip where you get to experience something out of the ordinary. Mini golf is one of our favorite excursions in this category.
A Visa gift card is a great way to lessen any entertainment expenses. This is a great way to save up for something special.
Going out to drinks with friends (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) gets expensive pretty quickly. People who go to Starbucks daily, spending around $4 on coffee, spend around $20 a week.
That expense adds up. Because of this expense, there are a lot of people who shy away from exciting coffee drinks at local cafes.
A Visa gift card for coffee is a great way to enjoy a special treat in your day alone or with friends. We love putting Visa gift cards towards something slightly unusual that makes any day special.
This also applies to going out for a drink with friends on the weekends or after work. Happy hour drinks are even happier when you use a Visa gift card.
Difference Between A Visa Gift Card And A Visa Debit Card
The main differences between a Visa gift card and a debit card have to do with where the money comes from, spending limits, who owns the funds, fraud protection, and fees.
1. Fund source – Visa gift cards have preloaded funds, while Visa debit cards access money already in your bank accounts.
2. Spending limit – Visa gift cards are limited to the prepaid amount. Visa debit cards can spend up to your account balance.
3. Ownership – Visa gift cards are usually given to someone else. Visa debit cards access your own funds.
4. Fraud protection – Visa debit cards typically have more liability protection if stolen. Visa gift card funds may be lost for good.
5. Fees – Visa debit cards avoid fees unless you overdraft. But Visa gift cards can come with purchase fees, monthly fees, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions about Visa Gift Card
How does my Visa Gift Card work?
To make a purchase, make sure you know the amount remaining on the card then select credit and sign for the purchase. The debit option requires a PIN to work. The card does not come with a preset PIN, so you will need to set one prior to making the purchase for the debit option to work.
Even though my name is not embossed on the card, can I still use it?
Yes, just make sure you sign the back of the card. Merchants will compare your signature on the back of the card with the receipt that you sign.
Is there a limit on the frequency of transactions or the number of merchants?
There is no limit on how frequently you may use your gift card to make purchases or the number of merchants. However, you may not make transactions that exceed the amount of funds available on your gift card.
Can I use my Visa Gift Card to make a purchase for more than the balance I have remaining on the card?
Most merchants will permit you to use your card for part of the purchase price and pay the remainder by cash, check, or other card.
Let the merchant know in advance that you will be using two methods of payment. Let them know exactly what amount is to be applied to the gift card, then pay the remaining amount with your second form of payment.
What happens when I have spent the balance on the card?
The card is non-reloadable and can no longer be used. However, you may wish to keep your gift card in case you need to return merchandise for credit.
Can I use my Visa Gift Card internationally?
Yes, your card may be used at any merchant that accepts Visa Debit Cards. Transactions made in currencies other than U.S. dollars will be converted to U.S. dollars plus any Issuer International Transaction Fee of up to 1%.
Can I get cash from my gift card?
Yes. The card can be used to withdraw funds by ATM or receive cash advances. You will need to enter your pre-selected PIN (login to https://www.consumercardaccess.com/cugift2 or call 866-833-2370 to set a PIN) and follow the ATM instructions. There is a maximum limit of $310 per day including any fees that the ATM owner may charge per transaction.
Do I get monthly statements?
No statements are generated. You may determine your card balance by calling 866.833.2370 or online at www.ConsumerCardAccess.com/cugift2. How long can I use my Visa Gift Card?
You may use your gift card until the funds are depleted, or until the last day of the expiration date on the card. If any available balance remains on the card after the expiration date, it is forfeited.
Can I use the Visa Gift card at restaurants and for beauty services?
Yes, but please be aware many restaurants, hair salons, and nail salons will factor in an automatic 20% tip to the purchase price. If this amount exceeds your available balance on the card, the authorization for purchase may be declined.
Let the merchant know to only deduct a specific amount from the card and make payment for the balance by another method of payment. You may not use the card to add a tip after a transaction has been processed.
What if my gift card is lost or stolen?
Please notify us immediately: call 866.833.2370 or go online at www.ConsumerCardAccess.com/cugift2. A replacement card in the amount of your remaining balance, less a reissue fee of $10 may be issued at the Credit Union.
You must provide us with your 16 digit card number to cancel your card and receive a replacement card. Keep your card number in a safe place in the event this would happen.
Can I cancel a purchase?
If you change your mind and request a merchant to cancel your purchase, be aware that if the merchant has already obtained authorization for your purchase, you may need to wait 4-7 days for the funds to be available.
What if my purchase is declined?
In most cases, the balance remaining on the card is not enough to cover the purchase amount. Please be aware that some merchants, such as restaurants, beauty salons, cruise lines or mail order companies require the card to have a greater available balance than the purchase to allow for tips or incidental expenses.
Can a Visa card ever have a negative balance?
If a merchant puts through a transaction without prior authorization and funds are not available on the card, you may be liable for the amount greater than your available balance and be required to make payment to cover that amount.
Is there a maintenance fee on Visa gift card?
A monthly maintenance fee of $5.00 will be deducted from your balance in the thirteenth month after 12 months of non-use. This fee will occur each month until transaction activity resumes, the card reaches expiration date, or the available balance reaches $0.00.
I hope you have found this article helpful. In case of any other questions about the Visa Gift Card, kindly make use of the comment section below.